Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How I spent my Christmas Break!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Christmas Break!

This past Christmas break was very different from any other Christmas break I have experienced in the past. I not only met many new friends but I was able to open my eyes to all the different cultures in Haiti. Many of us know that the culture in Haiti is very different than ours in the U.S. but I don't think you truly understand what it is like until you experience it first hand, and I am sure many of my classmates would agree. While in Haiti we did various things ranging from visiting the UNAF and donating over a hundred textbooks to visiting an orphanage where we had suitcases full of donated items. Being able to interact with the students at the university was one of my favorite parts of the trip, they were so excited to show you around and tell you all about what they are doing at school. Just seeing their faces and how happy they were for us just being there made it worth it and I knew that with the books we donated them and the relationships that we started we will be able to continue helping them.
If asked to go back to Haiti I would say yes in a heart beat, I feel that it really did give me a new outlook on life. I am blessed for what we have in the here in the United States and I feel it is now our job to not only help others but provide them the knowledge to succeed in their careers and life.

-Shelby Englert

No comments:

Post a Comment